Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Yesterday at Tsukiji, the return...

Christmas Eve "Breakfast" at Tsukiji.. The return for Sushi... And David's Dream.

Yesterday in Tokyo was almost like a L.A. Day. David and his coworkers wanted Sushi yesterday. So I joined them to go at Tsukiji. We went looking for one of the true Sushi joints at Tsukiji. It was a bit of a search to find them. Luckily David's 2 other coworkers were Japanese. They lead the way, and true sushi nirvana was found. The first 2 Sushi bars had lines that looked like it would take 2hrs to get in. We decided to go to one that still had room for us. It was excellent and even better than the Sushi restaurant I had in the main market. We had the sushi chef make us "Toro Set". It wasnt on the menu, but I just asked for all Toro.. I think what I had on my plate would cost about 60-70 bucks in LA.. Toro is cheap here. Its about 3-4 bucks a piece. They have Albacore and Salmon Toro here too.. Seared Toro is awesome..

David decided he still wanted more fish. So he wanted to find a fish stall that would slice him fresh fish and put it in a bowl. I think he spent 30 bucks on a large slab(about 10 in long, 1 1/2 inch thick) of chu-toro(Not quite as fatty as high quality toro, but not as lean as red maguro..) He let us have a "slice" and it was excellent.. I also had an eel-sickle(What I called eel on a stick) for only a 100 yen(little less than a buck) at one of the stalls in the main market..

Afterwards I returned to my hotel to get my bags, and take the Shinkansen to Kyoto...





No comments: